Tuesday, 13 March 2007

A New Pope

What a weekend of rugger - spills, thrills, choking and a new Pope??
Firstly to the Scott's - finally they played with a bit of passion and had they been just a bit more savvy - I think they would've won. The two incidents that cost them were - Simon Taylor, with the old classic Sean Fitzpatrick walk back slow with your hands in the air in line with the fly-half.. that old trick doesn't work anymore - that was the first dumb thing. The other dumb thing was when the 'whale' prop didn't get off the ball after making the tackle also lying there with his hands in the air pretending that he couldn't move - those two incidents, I believe, cost them the game. So to the Irish - well done - you got away with it this time.
The second game - Wales v Italy - after receiving a phone call I moved my neanderthal frame off the couch and down to my local club - Windsor to join the lads and my two Welsh mates, Johnny G and Sid Jones, (I think that's Welsh)?? Well, I tell them that they are mates just to make them feel good!! Picture this - these two Welsh lads, dressed in red, giving it large to - well, everyone in the clubhouse and with only minutes to spare Italy went on the attack when Sergio Parisse cut through the defensive line - the Welsh boys sat back down immediately - Sid especially with his mouth open wide holding his chunky cheeks watched everyone jump for joy when Mauro Bergamasco scored... hee hee! But we still love the Welsh - well that's what I tell them anyway!
So it would be very un-sporting of me if I didn't mention what happened in the last 10 seconds - so I won't!!
Apparently Chris White aka Christophe Bianco will be the next Pope??
Sunday saw the French at Twickenham - I got it wrong - the English were alot better. I saw the passion and desire and particularly the passion came from the young ones. Cat, I believe, made a big difference - in the first 10-15 minutes he nearly fell off his zimmer-frame with a couple of dodgy catches but gave good direction when needed. The French were crap, crappier, the crappiest I have ever seen them play. My hunch this week is that they all placed bets and they are now all very rich sitting in camp, sipping champagne as they only have Scotland, I think they will get the last laugh by winning the Six Nations - only a hunch!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Zinny, you smug git! Just because the 2 teams which are most likely to give the AB's a decent game (France and Ireland) played shite you go and wet yourself.

I suppose we should just be grateful you didn't point out that if either of them plays like that against Argentina then they won't even reach the quarters.

Craig said...

i cannot imagine the AB's losing sleep over a threat from the northern hemisphere, but do u think that the AB's are again peaking between the world cups and will be slowly on the decline - or am i just desperately trying to think of a reason why i will not be getting a phone call from kiwis in the wee small hours

Zinzan Brooke said...

Craig - we are peaking - but not like Freddy Flintoff! As for getting it right in the World Cup, we have managed to slip on a couple of banana skins in Cups gone by, but you don't have to be a New Zealander to realise that this All Black team is a little different!!! - special.

Zinzan Brooke said...

Brian - I'm appalled at your slanderous comments calling me a smug git - but you are so accurate, spot on!

Anonymous said...

Think Nick Evans will get a regular starting position for the WC Zinny?